When Halloween comes to your mind, it is always witches, pumpkins, bats, and black cats that you generally think of. But know much do you really about cats. You can check how much you know these creatures with the following fun facts attached to them.
- People of ancient Egypt considered cats as sacred, thought they brought good luck and were a helpful animal.
- In Europe, during the middle period, people connected them to witch craft to the extent that if a single elderly woman looked after some of these stray ones, she was taken to be a witch with these little ones as her associates in this.
- In certain areas of Ireland and England people think that should one such cat cross your path it will bring you good luck.
- Brides in the midlands of Great Britain are given cats to bring them good luck.
- When entering a home in Scotland, they are thought to bring in good fortune, forecasting a prosperous period ahead.
- In Germany, it is thought to be a good omen when a black cat crosses your path from left to right. But it may be associated with bad luck when the cat goes from right to left in front of you.
- For a pirate seeing a black cat can be sometimes very confusing, and an approaching one is unlucky. If it is moving away, it means good luck. When it is coming towards the ship but midway changes its mind to retract its steps, it is treated as a signal that the ship is about to sink and time that you got off.
- Black cats seem to be lucky for fishermen who always kept them in their homes and even ships. Often people found them too expensive to buy.
- Single women in Japan consider cats as lucky as they would help attract suitors to them.
- In Russia cats of all kinds are considered a symbol of good luck.
- There are many breeds of black cats. The directory of the Cat Fanciers Association says there are nineteen different kinds of such cats.
- Their golden eyes with high level of melanin pigment make them look amazing.
- They could be female or male but often they are boys.
- 17th of August is Black Cat Appreciation Day.
- The color black is such that it goes well with any color combination of your home furnishings or furniture.
- It is advisable not to follow a black cat that is going beneath a ladder as it is thought to be unlucky.
- If you want to bring home a black cat then it should be avoided during Halloween and you should rather do it before Halloween holidays begin as animals get frightened by the noises and costumes and movement of people during the festival and they are better off indoors.